Herby Kale Potatoes with Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms
The mushrooms in this hearty recipe are meaty enough to satisfy everyone.
3tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp olive oil
1/4tsp dried thyme
2 minced cloves garlic
1/2tbsp brown sugar
Herby Kale Potatoes
1tbsp olive oil
½ cup sour cream
1/4tsp onion powder and garlic powder
1tsp dried parsley
½tsp each of dried basil and oregano
3/4tsp salt, divided
900g russet potatoes
½ cup milk
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Clean mushrooms and slice in half.
- Combine olive oil, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and thyme in a small dish. Arrange mushrooms in a single layer in a casserole dish and pour over the balsamic marinade. Stir until mushrooms are coated.
- Roast mushrooms for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until they are tender and there is a nice sauce in the dish.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 2 cm cubes and bring to the boil in a large pot with half a teaspoon of salt. Cook until tender then drain and rinse in a colander.
- In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of water, remaining salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to chopped kale and sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes then remove from pan. Return potatoes to the pan along with parsley, basil, garlic and onion powder, oregano, sour cream, milk and black pepper. Mash until smooth and season to taste. Stir in kale.
- Add one-quarter of the kale mashed potatoes to each bowl and top with one-quarter of mushrooms, and drizzle over a little of the mushroom sauce.